#4962586
Kingpin wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 7:09 pm From this moment on I would like to request the discussion stays on the topic of the HasLab Spengler release rather than veer any further into the hypothetical "Haslab '84 Pack" discussion.
If Hasbro announces such a project we'll create a new topic, but until then, the topic seems rather academic.

Users are welcome to discuss their conversion plans for the upcoming Haslab Pack in this new thread: Official HasLab Spengler Pack to Classic Pack conversion thread.

Ok here's a discussion:

As awesome as this whole thing is. And it is awesome.

The only way we will be able to display this PP out of the box (with the attached hose, etc) is with a Spengler wand.

I.e. as die hard fans who never got around to building a pack themselves, we still won't be able to have an actual old school proton pack and wand. It will have to feature the "wooden grip" Hasbro wand. PS: This is not a 84 or 21 pack discussion, as for me both versions of the pack are near enough identical. Take a few pieces off and it's an 84.

It's more the fact that people who never built their own pack and wand are stuck with displaying it with a Hasbro wooden front grip Spengler. So what solution are people considering to help that?

Convert a Spengler to 2 black 84 finger grips? Or somehow fix another dummy hose attached to a Matty wand on the v hook?
ProtonPack83 liked this
#4962587
One time wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:56 pm
Kingpin wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 7:09 pm From this moment on I would like to request the discussion stays on the topic of the HasLab Spengler release rather than veer any further into the hypothetical "Haslab '84 Pack" discussion.
If Hasbro announces such a project we'll create a new topic, but until then, the topic seems rather academic.

Users are welcome to discuss their conversion plans for the upcoming Haslab Pack in this new thread: Official HasLab Spengler Pack to Classic Pack conversion thread.



Ok here's a discussion:

As awesome as this whole thing is. And it is awesome.

The only way we will be able to display this PP out of the box (with the attached hose, etc) is with a Spengler wand.

I.e. as die hard fans who never got around to building a pack themselves, we still won't be able to have an actual old school proton pack and wand. It will have to feature the "wooden grip" Hasbro wand. PS: This is not a 84 or 21 pack discussion, as for me both versions of the pack are near enough identical. Take a few pieces off and it's an 84.

It's more the fact that people who never built their own pack and wand are stuck with displaying it with a Hasbro wooden front grip Spengler. So what solution are people considering to help that?

Convert a Spengler to 2 black 84 finger grips? Or somehow fix another dummy hose attached to a Matty wand on the v hook?
Yeah. The pack can pass, but I really would like a different wand at least, that would make a huge difference.
ProtonPack83 liked this
#4962589
GhostFaceX wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:59 pm
One time wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:56 pm




Ok here's a discussion:

As awesome as this whole thing is. And it is awesome.

The only way we will be able to display this PP out of the box (with the attached hose, etc) is with a Spengler wand.

I.e. as die hard fans who never got around to building a pack themselves, we still won't be able to have an actual old school proton pack and wand. It will have to feature the "wooden grip" Hasbro wand. PS: This is not a 84 or 21 pack discussion, as for me both versions of the pack are near enough identical. Take a few pieces off and it's an 84.

It's more the fact that people who never built their own pack and wand are stuck with displaying it with a Hasbro wooden front grip Spengler. So what solution are people considering to help that?

Convert a Spengler to 2 black 84 finger grips? Or somehow fix another dummy hose attached to a Matty wand on the v hook?
Yeah. The pack can pass, but I really would like a different wand at least, that would make a huge difference.
We don't have one. Convert a Spengler? Build your own 84 wand? Or get a dummy hose and attach a Matty?

The moment I receive this that will be my initial thought. I cant display this with a Hasbro Spengler. That's just no go for an '84 nut. Which I have been since '84.

I may just beef up the front grip on a Hasbro Spengler with some paper padding before covering both the front and rear grips with black tape. If I can't be bothered to take stuff apart. Which I doubt I will be.
#4962592
One time wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:08 pm
GhostFaceX wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:59 pm

Yeah. The pack can pass, but I really would like a different wand at least, that would make a huge difference.
We don't have one. Convert a Spengler? Build your own 84 wand? Or get a dummy hose and attach a Matty?

The moment I receive this that will be my initial thought. I cant display this with a Hasbro Spengler. That's just no go for an '84 nut. Which I have been since '84.

I may just beef up the front grip on a Hasbro Spengler with some paper padding before covering both the front and rear grips with black tape. If I can't be bothered to take stuff apart. Which I doubt I will be.
How comfortable are you with using a dremel on the wand?
#4962593
I'm a little surprised that I haven't really seen anyone make a 3D printed '84 front grip capable of just fitting over the wood grip with little to no modification of the wood grip necessary. That would be a slam dunk item. It might be a bit chunkier than the actual '84 grip was, but it could still be a good option for those wanting an '84 thrower.
#4962595
THawke wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm I'm a little surprised that I haven't really seen anyone make a 3D printed '84 front grip capable of just fitting over the wood grip with little to no modification of the wood grip necessary. That would be a slam dunk item. It might be a bit chunkier than the actual '84 grip was, but it could still be a good option for those wanting an '84 thrower.
Actually someone from this forum did when it was first released. However it doesn’t look quite right. The wooden grip sticks out too much so even if you add it on it looks off.
#4962596
jonogunn wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:50 pm
THawke wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm I'm a little surprised that I haven't really seen anyone make a 3D printed '84 front grip capable of just fitting over the wood grip with little to no modification of the wood grip necessary. That would be a slam dunk item. It might be a bit chunkier than the actual '84 grip was, but it could still be a good option for those wanting an '84 thrower.
Actually someone from this forum did when it was first released. However it doesn’t look quite right. The wooden grip sticks out too much so even if you add it on it looks off.
Hmm, I kind of figured there had to be a reason why it hadn't been done on a large scale. I suppose if a printed grip was thin enough overall to not look off, it'd be too structurally weak to actually grip without being crushed.

Well darn.
#4962602
Honestly I've always loved wood grips and stocks on guns in games since I was little. I just like the look. So when Egon's upgraded wand had the shotgun pump as a handle I was pretty damn pleased with it. I love the original films to death but some minor tweaks like the wood grip I actually like, thankfully. I'm just happy they kept the iconic packs looking 99% the same with just minor tweaks. Lends itself well to being modified for those that really want to too.
ValeChronotis liked this
#4962603
They're both pretty comfortable. I kinda prefer the shotgun grip in some situations as you don't have to worry about finger placement to look "right".

while you DO need to modify the entire front barrel to "fix" the grip, I'm kind of amazed no one has come up with a complete barrel replacement for the Spengler wand. I may have to work on some 3D files myself at this point.
#4962605
timeware wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:53 am There is no longer the need to discuss this is in the hasbro pulse thread.
This topic was created to keep the main HasLab pack thread on topic. Despite requests from two moderators a lot of the recent discussion has veered towards how to convert the pack into a 1984 one, and at times it's derailed the actual discussion about the pack replica.
timeware, deadderek liked this
#4962618
THawke wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm I'm a little surprised that I haven't really seen anyone make a 3D printed '84 front grip capable of just fitting over the wood grip with little to no modification of the wood grip necessary. That would be a slam dunk item. It might be a bit chunkier than the actual '84 grip was, but it could still be a good option for those wanting an '84 thrower.
A real slam dunk item would be for Hasbro to release an actual 84' wand. The best part is, the Spengler wand had it's chance and wide release - they are never doing it again. The next one HAS to be an 84' wand - every other wand in the movie is an 84' wand, so let's go already Hasbro!
One time liked this
#4962624
ProtonPack83 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 6:27 am
THawke wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm I'm a little surprised that I haven't really seen anyone make a 3D printed '84 front grip capable of just fitting over the wood grip with little to no modification of the wood grip necessary. That would be a slam dunk item. It might be a bit chunkier than the actual '84 grip was, but it could still be a good option for those wanting an '84 thrower.
A real slam dunk item would be for Hasbro to release an actual 84' wand. The best part is, the Spengler wand had it's chance and wide release - they are never doing it again. The next one HAS to be an 84' wand - every other wand in the movie is an 84' wand, so let's go already Hasbro!
Have you contacted Hasbro directly to voice your opinions/concerns to them?
Instead of continuously focusing on something Hasbro is not making, I'd rather focus on what they are making, and what I can do with it.

Honestly, it seems that instead of telling us the same thing over and over again, you would be better served by trying to organize an online campaign to let Hasbro know just how many people do want an '84 pack. From what I've seen so far, it appears most here are perfectly content with the Spengler pack as it's being presented.
deadderek liked this
#4962638
ProtonPack83 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 6:27 am A real slam dunk item would be for Hasbro to release an actual 84' wand. The best part is, the Spengler wand had it's chance and wide release - they are never doing it again. The next one HAS to be an 84' wand - every other wand in the movie is an 84' wand, so let's go already Hasbro!
Actually, the wand on Wrecto-1 is largely a match for the Spengler wand.

With that said, I want to lay things out so there's no confusion: This topic is here to discuss how to mod the HasLab pack to look like one of the classic Packs.

Not to repeat what's already been said in the main HasLab pack thread about Hasbro's choice to do a 2021 Pack instead of a 1984 one. You've had the opportunity to voice your views on the project as have others, so it's time to move on from what could've been to what is being released.
Ryusui liked this
#4962652
GhostFaceX wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 11:47 pm Here's a question..to those that have both, which is more comfortable, an 84 front grip or the shotgun grip?
84, by far. By far.

The shotgun grip makes the thrower feel like any other rifle type weapon.

The 84 double finger grip, with its 90 degree offset front to rear, really makes it feel like a mysterious tool designed to go beserk and that needs to be gripped tightly.

I don’t really know why they got rid of that unique feature by making one of the grips a boring shotgun grip.
ProtonPack83 liked this
#4962653
My own guess would be it's far more likely they'll make an '84 thrower than an entire '84 proton pack--especially as they do seem to have "snuck" in some ability to modify the GBA pack to look more like the '84.

But as always, it all comes down to 1.) What they're allowed to do from the license and 2.) Whether they think it will sell enough to make it worth doing.
ProtonPack83 liked this
#4962660
One time wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:49 pm
GhostFaceX wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 11:47 pm Here's a question..to those that have both, which is more comfortable, an 84 front grip or the shotgun grip?
84, by far. By far.

The shotgun grip makes the thrower feel like any other rifle type weapon.

The 84 double finger grip, with its 90 degree offset front to rear, really makes it feel like a mysterious tool designed to go beserk and that needs to be gripped tightly.

I don’t really know why they got rid of that unique feature by making one of the grips a boring shotgun grip.
Because it's supposed to look jury rigged. The idea is Egon couldn't afford to fix it properly so he worked with what materials he had on hand.
#4962663
ProtonPack83 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 6:27 am
THawke wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm I'm a little surprised that I haven't really seen anyone make a 3D printed '84 front grip capable of just fitting over the wood grip with little to no modification of the wood grip necessary. That would be a slam dunk item. It might be a bit chunkier than the actual '84 grip was, but it could still be a good option for those wanting an '84 thrower.
A real slam dunk item would be for Hasbro to release an actual 84' wand. The best part is, the Spengler wand had it's chance and wide release - they are never doing it again. The next one HAS to be an 84' wand - every other wand in the movie is an 84' wand, so let's go already Hasbro!

Would be nice to get an 84 wand, the only offical one so far was....pretty crap to be blunt. Light, flimsy, had a black hat light for some inexplicable reason and black banjos despite them being brass (seemed uinfinished), the firing sound was like a 2 second loop and they couldn't even get the name right. How does an offical product end up with the wrong name? I did sorta like the mechanical wand extension but it didn't extend nearly enough.

For the 84 wand they could use most of what makes the spengler wand, the main changes are the grips so it might not be that much of an issue to do a line of 84 wands.
ProtonPack83 liked this
#4962698
Kingpin wrote: December 4th, 2021, 9:14 am
ProtonPack83 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 6:27 am A real slam dunk item would be for Hasbro to release an actual 84' wand. The best part is, the Spengler wand had it's chance and wide release - they are never doing it again. The next one HAS to be an 84' wand - every other wand in the movie is an 84' wand, so let's go already Hasbro!
Actually, the wand on Wrecto-1 is largely a match for the Spengler wand.

With that said, I want to lay things out so there's no confusion: This topic is here to discuss how to mod the HasLab pack to look like one of the classic Packs.

Not to repeat what's already been said in the main HasLab pack thread about Hasbro's choice to do a 2021 Pack instead of a 1984 one. You've had the opportunity to voice your views on the project as have others, so it's time to move on from what could've been to what is being released.
I'm sorry, where in my statements was there ANYTHING about Hasbro's choice to do a 2021 pack? There are literally 3 other comments in this same thread talking about 84' wands - yet mine is singled out? Seems like some convenient moderation there...

I'm sure everyone on this thread would love to understand how talking about 84' wands to go with modded Hasbro packs is some sort of violation? Is this forum not free speech? Are we seriously at this level of micromanagement on a forum about toys and collectibles? This is laughable...
#4962712
I'm sure everyone on this thread would love to understand how talking about 84' wands to go with modded Hasbro packs is some sort of violation? Is this forum not free speech? Are we seriously at this level of micromanagement on a forum about toys and collectibles? This is laughable..
I'm sure everyone on this thread would like to know where the hostility is coming from? You aren't being singled out or made fun of. Everyone here is given the opportunity to voice their opinion. Kingpins only making a suggestion here. You aren't getting a green card with that attitude pal.
deadderek liked this
#4962719
ProtonPack83 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 9:57 pm I'm sorry, where in my statements was there ANYTHING about Hasbro's choice to do a 2021 pack?
It was a pre-emptive request. Based on what you'd already posted in the main HasLab Pack thread.

We'd already retrodden the ground of Hasbro's creative choices with this project in the main Haslab Pack thread, so I didn't want to see that ground retrodden any further here.

You are more than welcome to discuss ways in which the HasLab Pack can be converted into a 1984 or 1989 Pack.
deadderek liked this
#4962841
Bison256 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:33 pm
One time wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:49 pm

84, by far. By far.

The shotgun grip makes the thrower feel like any other rifle type weapon.

The 84 double finger grip, with its 90 degree offset front to rear, really makes it feel like a mysterious tool designed to go beserk and that needs to be gripped tightly.

I don’t really know why they got rid of that unique feature by making one of the grips a boring shotgun grip.
Because it's supposed to look jury rigged. The idea is Egon couldn't afford to fix it properly so he worked with what materials he had on hand.
Ok sure. But that's because we know the lore.

It's like a Ferrari F40 where the rear wing broke and was fixed with an aftermarket NISMO wing that has nothing to do with the original beautiful Italian design. The original design is lightyears ahead in terms of congruence.

The original 84 wand featured a function that was evident in its form. The double offset grips that indicated it would go beserk. (I'll never forget the feeling I had when I held an original 84 wand for the first time. I did not expect it.) It was like no other gun, rifle or tool I had held.

It was completely congruent with its function. Light beams and "needing to grip tightly" had not gone together before.

Converting the Haslab pack to an '84 is really about converting the wand. (the wand is part of the pack). Sure the little ripcord and greeblies on the pack are different in '21. But the most -obvious- difference to the entire pack is that wooden front grip on the Spengler wand.

I'd love tips on how to best/easiest way to get the wand (and therefore the entire proton pack) to look '84.
ProtonPack83 liked this
#4962880
I’ve never bookmarked a page so quickly in my life.

As someone who has zero knowledge on this kind of stuff, it was cool to see the demo version that Adam Savage got to play with and seeing how they made everything customizable. I really want to make this look like the 84/89 version as much as possible.

The ribbon cable is a big one. I dislike the faded look.

I was also thinking of using my Matty collector wand instead of the Plasma series Spengler wand. But since I’m still hospitalized I can’t check the box to see if the Matty wand came with a V hook connector like the Spengler wand apparently did. Does anyone remember?

Now one of the stretch goals includes more clean looking decals & tags. I was really hoping they’d also do a ribbon cable that isn’t so faded.

Now all is need to the jumpsuit. I wonder if Hasbro will do a jumpsuit. Probably not.

A little off topic but those of who you cosplay, do you have your own last name on the jumpsuit or one the OGB’s? I can’t decide which way I’ll go. I’m leaning towards OGB.
ProtonPack83 liked this
#4962882
One time wrote: December 6th, 2021, 6:02 pm
Bison256 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Because it's supposed to look jury rigged. The idea is Egon couldn't afford to fix it properly so he worked with what materials he had on hand.

The original 84 wand featured a function that was evident in its form. The double offset grips that indicated it would go beserk. (I'll never forget the feeling I had when I held an original 84 wand for the first time. I did not expect it.) It was like no other gun, rifle or tool I had held.

It was completely congruent with its function. Light beams and "needing to grip tightly" had not gone together before.
Well if it helps here’s an old man Venkman holding the wand from the body and able to control his fire.
Image
#4962927
RichardLess wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:29 am Now one of the stretch goals includes more clean looking decals & tags. I was really hoping they’d also do a ribbon cable that isn’t so faded.
Depends on if there's a wire for the "unplugged alarm" that was mentioned in the video, or if the circuit contact is just in the ribbon cable clamp portion.

Worst comes to worst, hopefully it wouldn't require a lot of work to install one of Fincher's GB1 ribbon cable replicas.
RichardLess wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:29 amNow all is need to the jumpsuit. I wonder if Hasbro will do a jumpsuit. Probably not.
We're hoping to have them restocked in the store ASAP. Failing that there's eBay, or Magnoli's replica.
RichardLess wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:29 amA little off topic but those of who you cosplay, do you have your own last name on the jumpsuit or one the OGB’s? I can’t decide which way I’ll go. I’m leaning towards OGB.
Some fans have gone for the Ghostbusters' surnames on their costume replicas, but most go with their own.
gamera1968 liked this

those variables are just for tracking state. Other[…]

PKE meter kits?

Between my business and pandemic malaise I haven't[…]

Very Rare figure

There's a strong chance they're the sort of collec[…]

Continuity Errors

Spoilers can be discussed now as it's been two mon[…]